Thursday, May 28, 2009

May 28, 2009

Dear Friends and Family,

Yesterday, May 27, we were invited to attend the graduation and award ceremony at Coastline Community College. I can honestly say that this was the most inspirational graduation ceremony I have ever attended. Five of the students, all of whom have suffered an acquired brain injury, presented a speech. It was hard to fight back the tears as each of these five people expressed the seemingly insurmountable challenges they have faced, but it was impossible to hold in the cheers as each one relayed how they now see their lives having value and meaning as they expressed the goals they have for themselves and how they have mapped out ways to accomplish these goals and how they refused to be held back by any obstacle. A couple of them told how they had wished and prayed for death but now realize that each new day is a gift to be treasured. Each expressed how Coastline had been instrumental in helping them move forward and giving them the tools needed to succeed.

Coastline divides the students into four teams placing them in the team which best reflects the degree of their individual brain injury and learning ability whereby each team can advance and work together at the same level. One member of each team was presented the Outstanding Student Award and we had been told ahead of time that Kevin was to receive the award for his team. Everett and I, along with Kevin's Uncle Steve, surprised Kevin at the ceremony as he had no idea he was to receive the award. Unfortunately Sarah was unable to attend as she had to be at work.

Below I have written what was said by one of Kevin's instructors as this award was presented to him as we were fortunate to receive a copy of it:

"It is with great pleasure to name the Outstanding Team 2 Student...It will come as a surprise to him I am sure: Kevin Hollar. Kevin is most deserving of this award. I must share that this is a real treat to present to Kevin. The evolution in Kevin's level of awareness and insight into his brain injury has truly been phenomenal. Kevin came into the program insuring us that he had no apparent deficits resulting from his brain injury. He had made it very clear on numerous class occasions that he was not satisfied with the instruction, curriculum, critical thinking, psychosocial class, book club, goal setting and, imagery--Forget It! He made teaching quite challenging. He pretty much resisted all aspects of the program. At one point in time Kim and I pulled him aside and asked him why he was here. He appeared to not need anything that we were offering him by way of compensation strategies or brain injury education...it was that day that we saw a glimmer...it was the way in which he heard the feedback, something in him began to click. I will say from that day forward we have seen a new and improved version of Kevin. It is remarkable how he has changed his attitude and has become more receptive and dare I say, open-minded with respect to the curriculum. He still remains intellectually skeptical, and I believe this to be healthy. He is serious about his role as a student, and as I have observed him embracing the curriculum to a level that is complementing his personal life, he sets realistic goals and contributes to class discussions in a much more positive way. He even presented stress reduction, breathing, relaxation and guided imagery in our last Team 2 project whereby he interacted with every student in the program in a healing and interactive way. I am pleased with the turnaround that Kevin has demonstrated; it gives me hope for all students who are willing to hold up a mirror and trust the process. Team 2 instructors thank you for your willingness to honor the feedback that we have given to you and we are very proud of the way in which you have begun to discover the nuances of your individual brain injury. Keep up the good work Kevin, there is no doubt in our minds that you will continue to excel in your rehabilitation goals."

We were, of course, the very proud parents yesterday and I have included a couple of pictures of Kevin with his award. We are very much encouraged at the changes Kevin has made as he has allowed God to show him the areas where he needs personal growth and that others have seen this as well as was evidenced by the award he received. I had the opportunity to speak briefly with Kim, one of his instructors, before the ceremony. She expressed to me how impressed she has been with the changes Kevin has made. He has been more helpful and friendlier to the other students and has contributed positively to the class and instructors. She said he is really a sweetheart and that he has a great sense of humor.



Kevin still has another year to go at Coastline and we would appreciate your prayers that Kevin would continue to succeed and that he would allow God to use Coastline as an instrument to help him.

Grace and Peace,
Tami

No comments: